Illinois is a state located in the Midwest region of the United States. The printable map of Illinois is known for its agriculture, manufacturing, and transportation industries. With a population of over 12 million people, Illinois is the sixth most populous state in the country. The state has a diverse geography, with the Mississippi River to the west and Lake Michigan to the northeast. In this essay, we will explore the Printable Map of Illinois and 20 fun facts about the state.
Printable Map of Illinois
A Printable Map of Illinois is a useful tool for anyone who wants to explore the state. The map shows the major cities, highways, and other points of interest in Illinois. With a Printable Map of Illinois, you can plan your trip, find your way around the state, and discover all the amazing things that Illinois has to offer.
Fun Facts About Illinois
- The Illinois state flower is the violet.
- The first McDonald’s franchise was opened in Des Plaines, Illinois in 1955.
- The Chicago River is dyed green every St. Patrick’s Day.
- Illinois has the largest number of units of local government of any state in the United States, with over 6,900 units.
- The Sears Tower, now called the Willis Tower, in Chicago was the tallest building in the world when it was completed in 1974.
- The Illinois state bird is the cardinal.
- The Chicago Cubs baseball team has not won a World Series since 1908, the longest championship drought in North American professional sports.
- The first skyscraper in the world was built in Chicago in 1885.
- Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, lived in Springfield, Illinois and is buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery in the same city.
- The Illinois state insect is the monarch butterfly.
- The Chicago White Sox baseball team won the World Series in 2005, their first championship since 1917.
- The Illinois state tree is the white oak.
- The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the oldest and largest art museums in the United States, with over 300,000 works of art.
- The Illinois state fossil is the Tully Monster, a prehistoric marine animal that lived about 300 million years ago.
- The Chicago Bulls basketball team won six NBA championships in the 1990s, led by Michael Jordan.
- The Illinois state dance is square dancing.
- The John Deere company, a major manufacturer of agricultural equipment, was founded in Illinois in 1837.
- The Illinois state fish is the bluegill.
- The first Ferris wheel was built for the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago.
- The Illinois state slogan is “Land of Lincoln.”
In conclusion, a Printable Map of Illinois is a valuable tool for anyone who wants to explore the state. With its diverse geography and rich history, Illinois has something to offer everyone. Whether you’re interested in art, sports, or history, there’s plenty to see and do in Illinois. So why not plan a trip to the Land of Lincoln today and discover all the amazing things that Illinois has to offer?